Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fireworks Frame Our Visit To SMA

We arrived in San Miguel De Allende two weeks ago today. We put our bags down, surveyed the house and walked to the Jardin. There we saw an election rally complete with fireworks.

How we feel on the way home... (Actually taken after horseback riding)
This morning, before 7:00 am, we heard more fireworks. I don't know why there were fireworks--other than Mexican culture seems to involve a lot of fireworks. Perhaps it was a religious event. Odd, though, because at 7:00 am you can't actually see the fireworks. It is light out. Fireworks did indeed frame our visit to Mexico.

There are many similarities between our cultures. People are people. Everyone responds to a smile and sincerity regardless of the language. Many even responded to my bizarre humor.

There are differences, however. It seems unusual to see 4-wheel ATVs being driven like cars on the street--especially when there are 5 young children in the ATV's back seat. People ride in the back of pick-ups and even catch rides by hopping a bumper on the way to school. In a way it seems like a bit of a flashback to simpler times in the US.

Back to fireworks. The large mortars that launch the fireworks are right in the Jardin, probably about 30 feet from the crowds. They were loud when we heard them from the house two blocks away. I can't imagine being right there. And if one were to decide to explode a bit prematurely...

I talked with my friend Eduardo about this last time. There are seat belt laws on main roads. He didn't believe they made a significant difference in trauma fatalities. Things are simply more laid back.

The pace of Mexico is much slower.
It was a challenge to switch from my time to Mexican time. And I don't mean this stereotypically. Things are slower. Stores close in the afternoon for lunch and possibly a siesta. 9:00 means 9:15...or maybe 10:00. That is the way it is.

Stephanie noted a significant police presence. I also asked Eduardo about this. It seems the federal government spent a considerable amount of time and money on the police. Recruits now face a battery of testing before becoming officers which improves the quality of the officers--and the force. Police throughout the country are all equipped similarly. Officers wear level IV vests, helmets and have a military appearance in black uniforms. Interestingly, last time Sarah and I were in San Miguel, we saw the same number of officers, but the officers frequently weren't armed and wore powder blue shirts and gray pants as I recall.

I suppose this brings me to the "Why would you go to Mexico with all that violence?" question. Well, in addition to having close friends in the area, this region of Mexico is considered very safe.

Most locals we talked to note that tourism has been down the past few years because of the perception of violence--a real threat in some parts of Mexico. But not here.

Josefina made an amazing last dinner for us on Saturday.
This is my brain dump of a closing blog post for our trip. I am sure Stephanie will have hers as well. I want to be clear that my observations of Mexico are done fondly. I want to return here soon. I enjoy the pace, the beauty, the culture...the food!

Speaking of the food, Josefina made dinner for us on our last night. Salad, guacamole, frijoles, and enchiladas verde. And margaritas! Delicious. It made for a great snack later--and breakfast! We will miss Josefina, her wonderful cooking (chile rellanos, tortilla soup, mole...) and her sing-song "Hola!" to greet us every morning. She was wonderful!

As I write this (on the plane) we are about 2 hours away from New York City.  We will stay there overnight and fight the traffic (a.k.a. drive) to Albany tomorrow. The girls all want a cheeseburger when we land. The symbolic return to the USA.

I lived and loved each moment in San Miguel De Allende and Guanajuato. I made some wonderful new friends teaching the EMPACT course there. Yet there will be something about being back in Maine. Cool air, sea level, picking up the big goofy dog, hopping in the pool, sleeping in my own bed. I miss it.

But I will return to Mexico soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment